Monday, July 20, 2020

“Goodnight Beautiful”


“Goodnight Beautiful”
Written by Aimee Molloy
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Goodnight Beautiful

Goodnight Beautiful is the second psychological thriller that Aimee Molloy has written. Molloy’s first thriller was a favorite of mine, The Perfect Mother, about a woman whose son goes missing a few weeks after she’s joined a mommy group. When picking up her next, I remembered how I enjoyed Molloy’s ability to subvert expectations, without providing too much detail and allowing the reader to assume and trust the writing. Again, what a brilliant entry into the psychological thriller genre. Molloy’s manipulative style allows for another conniving villain to come forth, without us even realizing what was wrong until it’s too late.

To begin with, the plot follows Sam and Annie, a married couple who seem happy on the surface. We learn that it’s far too easy to listen in on Sam’s therapist sessions with his clients, which allows us to be instantly suspicious of him. Also, in a stark change to the genre, Sam is the one who goes missing, which was so surprising to me, because we never see the husband go missing. Additionally, the story is told in two perspectives: a third person perspective of Sam and Annie and a first-person narration which maybe you shouldn’t trust. Similar to great thriller writers like Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks, and the Liv Constantine sisters, the reader learns that all too soon, we cannot trust who we’re reading about.

Without giving too much more away, I applaud this book. Many moments of the story are completely unexpected, while some are perfectly expected, but not for the right reason. Molloy sets certain scenes to follow the pattern of what we would expect from this type of book, to throw it in our faces and say “No. Of course it wouldn’t be her or him”. Similar to the great Knives Out film that has just graced us with its presence, we should never predict anything in this novel.

There were some issues I had with the novel. I found the final mystery to be an interesting reveal, but due to my familiarity with Molloy, I was not surprised. Was this intentional? Hm. Also, a major nod to a great mystery thriller, Misery, allowed for some fun moments, but it felt that Molloy took too much inspiration and did not make her story unique enough.

Finally, I loved this book. Although I was unimpressed with the Misery connection, I found this novel to be outrageously fun and deliciously twisted. I highly recommend it, to even new readers to this genre. I rate this at 4 out of 5 stars. I plan to keep it in my collection for years to come. I eagerly anticipate future works from Aimee Molloy.

I received an advance copy from Harper Books in exchange for my reading and reviewing purposes. Thank you to the publisher for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...