Friday, July 31, 2020

"Ghosted"

Ghosted
"Ghosted"
Written by Rosie Walsh
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia
Ghosted or alternatively known as The Man Who Didn't Call, is a romantic thriller that piqued my interest when looking for a new audiobook to listen to. Instantly, I found myself entranced in the story, narrated by the wonderful Katherine Press. Rosie Walsh, the writer, has created an interesting story, with likeable characters more developed than most in both the romantic and and thriller genres. 

In the story, Sarah and Eddie have had a seven-day whirlwind romance after meeting. Sarah, recently divorced from her business partner, and Eddie, single, learn more about each other than they ever could have anticipated. After Eddie leaves to go on a pre-planned vacation, he stops responding to calls, messages, and is inactive on social media. Has he 'ghosted' her, by ignoring her like a ghost, or could he possibly be in danger?

The story progressed to have multiple perspectives, from Sarah's, Eddie's, and through letters. Sarah's fear for Eddie's safety stems from an accident that she caused, leaving us to wonder more about the mystery. Could Eddie have been involved, more than she knows? Additionally, due to Eddie's disappearance, Sarah's career is faltering. As a CEO of a company that brings clowns to patients in hospitals, her career relies on her responsibility and communication with her ex-husband and his new girlfriend. Coupled with a bit of drama between her and her best friends, Tommy, Jo, and Jenny, Sarah's life feels out of control.

By the time we receive all of the facts, it is up to us readers to decide who is right, wrong, and who deserves forgiveness. The question of mercy brings the reader in more, making the story seem more realistic and relatable, depending on the morals of those turning the pages.

I personally loved this book. There were many reveals that I could not expect but there were enough I saw coming, so the plot did not seem far-fetched. I also loved the writing style, characters, and overall message. It sheds a light on today's society and the change that one must undergo to be forgiven.

I rate this novel as 5 stars out of 5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I recommend listening to the audiobook. It provided a great listening experience, as I have begun daily walking, yoga, and running. I look forward to reading more by Rosie Walsh, even though I think I have accidentally already owned this book but didn't realize due to the title change. One of those things, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...