Wednesday, July 22, 2020

"Bottled Goods"


“Bottled Goods”
Written by Sophie van Llewyn
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Bottled Goods

A tale of political revolution mixed with magical realism could be a cocktail for a great novel, with lasting power and relevance to today’s climate. Admittedly, Bottled Goods is a fantastic look into the Romanian Revolution, how defecting your government and escaping would look in that era. Our main characters are Alina, Liviu, Alina’s mother, and her Aunt Theresa. Conversely, the plot barely relied on the magical realism aspect, being able to shrink people to fit in a bottle, until the last act of the story.

Alina’s narrative voice interested me. I loved learning more about the Romanian Revolution in simplistic and realistic views, letting us see how it affected everyday citizens, like a favorite of mine Persepolis. Her unhappy marriage and her strong dislike towards her parents led to an unsympathetic choice she makes, but it does not lead to a perfectly happy ending. Personally, I became invested in this novel for the wrong reasons. I imagined it to be more like Snow in August, Pan’s Labyrinth, Exit West, and more, in which the magical realism relates politics to magical elements in a symbiotic way. However, I felt that the plot was not propelled by the shrinking magic, where I thought it would have more of an influence.

Additionally, this book was only 180 pages. Due to its small size, it includes chapters that are more vignettes and were serialized by the author. This lends the book to feel too short and hardly developed, without us learning much about each character. I do recommend this novel, but I just wish that the story would have been longer and fulfilled my expectations more.

I rate this novel at 3 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to Harper Perennial for the advance copy, sent to me in exchange for a reading and reviewing purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...