Sunday, April 16, 2017

"The Day I Killed James"

"The Day I Killed James" by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Review written by Diana Iozzia 




It must be about five or six years since I read this novel. I picked it up in the library, because a boy I was "in love with" was named James. You know how 14 to 15 year old girls are. I also wanted to read this, because it was written by the same author who wrote "Pay It Forward", another favorite of mine.

The main character in this story is named Theresa. After a party Theresa brought her boyfriend, James to, he accidentally dies in a tragic motorcycle accident. The prose is a bit difficult to read, because it is written through a young adult's perspective. Honestly, Hyde's prose is written much more believable in her other novels, because in this one, it seems she tries very hard to sound like a young adult.

This book is very sad and soaked with guilt. It's an interesting story of learning to overcome tragedy and moving on with life. I think I'd like to give this a re-read, now that I'm twenty-one, and I think I have more life experience? Also, I am engaged, so I wonder if I have a different perspective on love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...