Saturday, April 29, 2017

"I Am No One"

“I Am No One” by Patrick Flannery
Review written by Diana Iozzia

I Am No One by Patrick Flanery
            I sadly regret to inform you all that this is one of my least favorite books I have ever read. I was very intrigued to read this, because the plot idea of a man becoming paranoid that someone is stalking him sounded very appealing. However, this is a very ornery, impolite, and licentious old man who does not understand modern technology. He was involved with possibly bad people, so there begins the suspense, but you only find out the reason for the stalking in the second half of the book. Even so, you never really know why someone is stalking him. Seriously. There’s no resolution. The last chapter of the book is the man coming to terms with the fact he needs to seek out a lawyer for help. That’s it.

            This is the slowest read I probably have ever read. The prose is very descriptive, but it feels like the author is rambling. I understand that the character is supposed to be a stubborn, weird man who talks incessantly, but do I have to read from his perspective? He’s not an interesting perspective. I don’t have sympathy for his plight.

            I like the plot of modern day technology making stalking and watching someone become easy, however, nothing really happens as a result. I can’t believe it took me this long to read this book. It was so dissatisfying, I almost wanted to give up. It was very difficult to pick up this book. Honestly, I fell asleep while reading it once.


            I like the supporting characters, the narrator’s daughter and her husband. That’s it. I’m not sympathetic towards a character who leaves his wife and family and has a boring affair, and then is later stalked years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...