Wednesday, April 12, 2017

"Small Crimes by Andrea Jurjevic

"Small Crimes" by Andrea Jurjevic
Small Crimes: Poems
Review written by Diana Iozzia


“Small Crimes” was an interesting book of poetry. There are many small and some longer poems that really pack a punch as you read. I am a person who has a strong stomach. Usually, poetry does not make me feel emotional, but I did notice a bit of emotion being felt by myself. Andrea’s poetry is very sad and emotional, painting a very clear picture of the events that shaped her life. Many of the poems in this book are really well written, and I enjoyed reading them.

Her take on very important government events and affairs that impacted her life was interesting, because it does not relate to my own life. There is lots of foreign language used in the book, translated in the index at the back of the book. There are also dates and times that help you understand the events that she is writing about. Some of the poetry was very dark and emotional, so that's where my love for poetry differs. I love happy poetry, but this poetry by Andrea was very dark and sad. It is still enjoyable poetry, and it was written very well. Unfortunately, this is just not poetry I choose to read on my own.

I did notice that some of the poems were too descriptive, as if she added extra detail just to be more descriptive, but it wasn’t to a positive affect.


I enjoyed the poems "Too Educated”, “Back When I Knew How to Speak”, and “Hotel Scandinavia”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...