Friday, April 14, 2017

"Doom Sayer"

“Doom Sayer” by Zachary T. Owen
Review written by Diana Iozzia
Doom Sayer


            Tonight, I finished this second collection of horror short stories written by the independent author, Mr. Zachary Owen. I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Owen’s first short story collection, “Burn Down the House and Everyone in It.” When I had the chance to read his second book, published just this February of 2017, I was very interested.
            If I count the days, I think it only took me three afternoons and one night to read this, so it’s very easily read and digestible. In comparison to his first book, Mr. Owen created more creepy and unsettling stories in his second novel than the first. The first felt more comical, but the second felt more gruesome and outlandish.
            The first half of the stories were okay to me. I enjoyed them, but the second half of the book was filled with interesting stories. As I spoke about in my review of his first book, Mr. Owen uses common fears and exemplifies them in his stories. These fear-filled felt much more natural and realistic than the first collection. Owen’s worlds that he creates are natural, but they are just at the fringe of your worst nightmare.
            Personally, my favorite stories from this collection were:
            “The Orphan Room”, which wasn’t as realistic and natural, but it reminded me of “Coraline” by Neil Gaiman.
            “Lucifer’s Dream Box”, an interesting story about modern art and secret pleasures.
            “What We Do for Love” felt like a haunting, cautionary, fairy tale. An interesting story, leaving you wondering who indeed was the beast.
            The last 60-70 pages (I didn’t do the math) were a fantastic, eerie tale about a pond in the woods, with macabre secrets hiding in said woods. “Beauties in the Deep” was a really vivid and interesting story. I’d love to see it played out in a short film.

            This second collection of horror stories by Zachary Owen were great, but I can’t even pick which novel I enjoyed more. I would seriously consider reading both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...