Friday, August 16, 2019

"Sky in the Deep"


“Sky in the Deep”
Written by Adrienne Young
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia


Sky in the Deep
“Sky in the Deep” is a very well-crafted and interesting fiction that takes place in an era unbeknownst to the reader. The tale follows young Eelyn, a seventeen-year-old warrior whose clan has been ancient rivals with another. Every five years, the two clans face off in a winter battle to please their own Gods. During a battle, she spots her brother, Iri, who has been dead since the previous battle, five years ago. She is taken by him and his best friend, Fiske, into their enemy village, where she is kept as a hostage, protected by Fiske and Iri. There is no trust on any side, but Fiske and Iri know they need to keep Eelyn alive.

Fiske and Eelyn have an unsettling romance brewing, since neither trust the other, but they still begin to care for each other. We are then informed during a harrowing action sequence that the scariest and most dangerous fabled clan has begun to attack both clans. Eelyn must unite both clans to face off this common enemy before it’s too late.

Personally, I loved the world-building of this story. I really enjoyed the scenery, the dialogue, the language the clans speak, and the family relationships. The plot of the clans’ rivalries and the new incoming battle was exciting, but everything else in the world was much more interesting. I felt truly immersed in the story.

There were two aspects I wasn’t a fan of. The love between Fiske and Eelyn seemed very rushed. Actually, the whole story seemed very rushed. I felt I could have enjoyed a trilogy of books that take place in this world, not just one story. The final battle between the two clans and the evil, fabled clan was great, but I would have loved more battle! The fighting in the book was gruesome and tactically planned. I enjoyed learning of certain maneuvers, how they would have battle partners, and the warfare tactics they would use, like the warriors clicking their tongues quietly to alert their fellow clansmen but not loud enough to alert their enemies.

I felt that I really enjoyed this story, because it reminded me of other books and films like it. I was strongly reminded of the early seasons of “The 100”. I have also heard the book compared to “Vikings”, “Wonder Woman”, and more.

I recommend this book, but I would just prefer it a little differently. I could have read a thousand-page book with all of these aspects without any hesitation. I loved the world-building, the religion, and characters. I cannot wait to read more by this author.

I rated this book a four out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...