Thursday, August 1, 2019

"Garden of Ravens"

“Garden of Ravens”
Written by Krystal Jane Ruin
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Garden of Ravens
“Garden of Ravens” is a dark collection of poetry, with influence of magic, fairy tales, mythology, lore, and horror elements. Krystal Jane Ruin is a new poet to me, so I was eager to see how her poems connect and if I would like to further dive into her written works.

My first impression of the collection was the extensive table of contents. Noticing the myriad of poems in this book, I became further intrigued. Additionally, the poems shift from a very gothic, enchanting language to a very modern and childlike but eerie style, which reminds me a bit of “Into the Woods”.

The collection has been organized in sections. The sections are called: “Garden of Myth and Lore”, “Garden of Graves”, “Garden of Shadows”, “Garden with the Broken Gate”, “Garden of Storms”, “Garden Without a Key”, and “Garden of Starlight”. From the collection, here are my favorites.

“Deliver Us from Chaos: A Limerick”
“Merlin”
“The Inescapable”
“I, Medusa”
“Snow Queen”
“Pinewood Falls”
“Mythos”
“Void”
“Everything”
“My Heart Floods to You”
“Darkest Night”
“The Wind Changes Nothing”
“Breaking Away from You”
“She Loves This Boy”
“More”
“The Wrestler”

After reading this collection, I had many afterthoughts. I felt very inspired to create poetry for myself, since I hadn’t really read poetry like this, and it felt exciting. Although not every poem in the collection was a favorite, I thoroughly enjoyed the collection. I felt myself longing for new retellings of classic stories like the Medusa myth, Pandora’s myth, and more. I wholly recommend this poet. I highly look forward to reading her other poetry collections.

I was sent an e-book version of this through Netgalley in exchange for reading and reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...