Sunday, August 11, 2019

"Saving Meghan"


“Saving Meghan”
Written by D.J. Palmer
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Saving Meghan by D.J.  Palmer

“Saving Meghan” is a psychological thriller novel in which a family and two doctors become entrenched in a dangerous game, as parents, Carl and Becky, are desperately trying to save their daughter, Meghan. For years, Becky knows that her daughter is sick with some sort of illness, but her doctors can never determine what it could be. Dr. Zachary Fisher believes that she is sick with a rare and hardly treatable disease that affects her mitochondria. Dr. Amanda Nash is positive that Becky is suffering from Munchausen By Proxy Syndrome, a mental illness in which a parent makes their child sicker.

As we read through the story, it is very clear what could be wrong, but we are constantly thrown red herrings and plot twists, making us readers unsure if we are right. If we are just confused, like the other characters. We are thrown into the crooked marriage of Carl and Becky, finding out details about who we should and should not trust. An interesting legal battle ensues, having Meghan taking into hospital custody, away from her parents. However, it’s a bit muddled to the reader if that is the safest place for Meghan. In the final few twists, we understand the truth, and it’s shocking.

I was pulled into this story very quickly. I never found myself wanting to stop reading. I was thoroughly impressed by the execution of this story and think it was great. However, this book will not become a favorite. There are many elements that I’ve seen before in thrillers, leading me to be able to guess the true villains. I felt a bit unimpressed by certain aspects of the story that if I explained, it would be a spoiler. I think this is a very good thriller, and I highly recommend it.

I received an advance reader’s copy to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...