Friday, August 16, 2019

"Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood"


“Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood”
Written by Marjane Satrapi
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)

“Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood” is a memoir told in black and white comic strips, telling of Marjane’s life as she grew up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. We see her as a young girl who grows from six to fourteen. Satrapi has continued her story in the series, which I plan to read further. Marjane portrays herself as curious, rebellious, funny, and wise. Her story is very devastating and very important.

As a twenty-three-year-old American female, I found myself drawn into this story, to see how Marjane was treated as a female during her childhood. What she was allowed to wear, do, own, and say. I felt I learned a great deal of information about the Islamic Revolution. Unfortunately, when I grew up, I never remember learning much about this, other than a semester in college. In my high school classes, we learned about America and Europe, but we really did not learn much about the Middle East.

Marjane’s story is tragic and hard to read at times, as we learn about people who she was friends to and related to that suffered and some who were even executed. The format of this story was interesting. A comic strip makes the information easier to read and provide the visuals of what these times looked like. I felt that this book could also be understood by teens and adults, so I liked that it was very accessible.

I highly recommend this read. I flew right through it, desperate to know what would happen next. I absolutely plan to continue reading this incredible author. I rated this a four out of five stars. I felt that I enjoyed this, but this will not be a favorite read. I imagine that the series as a whole will be a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...