Wednesday, November 8, 2017

"whiskey words & a shovel III"

“Whiskey Words & A Shovel III”
Written by R.H. Sin
Review written by Diana Iozzia

Whiskey Words & a Shovel III by R.H. Sin

            “whiskey words & a shovel III” is a collection of poetry, written by my newest favorite modern poet. r.h. Sin is an unorthodox poet with his lack of punctuation, capitalization, and the occasional intentional sentence fragment. I enjoy Mr. Sin’s poetry, but only a certain percentage of each book. I noticed that in the first book I had read by him, “a beautiful composition of broken” that his poetry in that book was very sad and heartbroken. The first half of “whiskey words & a shovel III” is very angry, confused, and a little vulgar. The second half is more likeable to me. I’m a bit of a prude when it comes to literature, so vulgar language and descriptions of sexual encounters often make me feel uncomfortable. His poetry does make you feel angry, because he’s angry. I just don’t like seeing the F word every page I turn. However, this book had more poems in it that I enjoyed in comparison to “a beautiful composition of broken”.

            If you haven’t read my other review, I highly suggest it. Many aspects of his poetry ring true in this book as well. r.h. Sin uses many different metaphors, similes, and great personification. However, the poems that I didn’t like in this book, I reeeally didn’t like. There are so many poems on how strong women are, how you should look for relationships that make you whole, how crappy some women are, how crappy men are. Like I mentioned before, many of the poems in this book are angry and a little bitter. But I do understand that in the world today, there are concerns of feminism, sexism, racism, so I’m not surprised to read the themes in this book, even if it can be a little brash.

            Still, I think I really enjoyed this book, because of all of the poems I did indeed like. There are quite a few, but here are the ones I suggest and like. I have bookmarked them, so enjoy!

“nightfall.” pg. 3
“she was and still is everything.” pg. 29
* “garden.” pg. 35
“midnight Colorado.” pg. 63
“the woman I love.” pg. 70
“April 18th.” pg. 91
“under the moon.” pg. 123
“she is you IV.” pg. 149
“she was grand.” pg. 156
* “a garden for Gods.” pg. 169
* flames in the distance.” pg. 208
* “mountain high.” pg. 216
* “journal entry.” pg. 231 – 233
“grave garden.” pg. 237
“brown liquor girl.” pg. 238
“roses in the summer.” pg. 239
* “as the sun rises.” pg. 257
* heightened flames.” pg. 271


I received this poetry collection as a complimentary copy for reviewing purposes through the publisher.



* favorite poems in collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...