Wednesday, November 8, 2017

"rest in the mourning"

“rest in the mourning”
Written by R.H. Sin
Review written by Diana Iozzia

Rest in the Mourning by R.H. Sin

            “rest in the mourning” is a collection of poetry that centers around loss and sadness. This is a very short collection in comparison to the other two books I’ve read by R.H. Sin so far. “rest in the mourning” only clocks at 118 pages, but I still think it was immensely worth the read. I am so appreciative to have found a modern poet I like so much. I have always enjoyed reading Robert Frost, Edgar Allan Poe, and Henry David Thoreau most, but I am grateful to have read a poet who has just started becoming published over the past three years.

            Please read my other reviews on his collections, “whiskey words & a shovel III” and “a beautiful composition of broken”, to understand my full love and understanding of his poetry. R.H. uses great metaphors and personification to speak about love, self-respect, kindness, trustworthiness, heartbreak, and life. My favorite poems of his often include a metaphor or personification that compares something to nature or to the elements. Additionally, most of his poems do link together in his other collections. Some are in two or three parts. This collection reads to me like a chain link game, where the poem directly leads to the next poem. Then, the next takes a part of the previous and so on.

            I seem to have forgot to mention in all of my reviews of his books so far, but I really like the titles of the poems. I think the most interesting titles are the ones that are named after the date he wrote them, the day that inspired the poem, or the time at which they were written.

            Because this collection is significantly smaller than the others I have read, I had thought there would be a smaller number of favorite poems. I was wrong. Nonetheless my favorite poems here are:

“many broken promises.” pg. 5
“it’s late I & II.” pg. 8 – 9
“mouth of lies.” pg. 11
* “beside the moon.” pg. 17
“many moons, many battles.” pg. 18
* “a type of love.” pg. 23
* “some sleep.” pg. 25
“rest in the mourning.” pg. 33
“heart’s silence.” pg. 48
* “resting.” pg. 75
“total recall.” pg. 87
“my 20s.” pg. 117


I received this poetry collection as a complimentary copy for reviewing purposes through the publisher.



* favorite poems in collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...