Friday, August 25, 2017

"The Unthinkable Shoes"

"The Unthinkable Shoes"
Written by Veronica Knox
Review written by Diana Iozzia
The Unthinkable Shoes

For a lesser known author, this was a very well-written and descriptive novel. This book is mainly about a little boy named Finn Cleary, who grew up in a poor, sad household. His brother had passed away years prior, so his family has never fully healed. His baby sister, his mother, and his father are now planning their visit on the ever tragic Titanic voyage.

This story is told through the spirit of Finn, who passed during the sinking. He tells his story through well-written prose. Unfortunately, this prose is very unbelievable from a five year old, poor boy's intelligence. It's very uncommon for even very intelligent five year olds to understand the words, "grief-stricken", "paradox", "threatens", and more. If this was told through the perspective of a twelve year old, it would be much more believable. I understand that the story was inspired by a small pair of shoes that was uncovered in the wreckage of the Titanic, but I tend to prefer books that are realistic. I understand that the spirit of a young boy hanging in the balance of purgatory is fantastical, but the prose is just too extensive for a five year old.

The narrative aside, I do enjoy this story. I think it's very creative and unique. It reminds me of the popular "Lincoln in the Bardo". I like stories with narrators speaking from the afterlife. Also, the perspective from the Titanic is very well-written and must be well-researched. I'll be passing this book along to my mother. I enjoy the perspectives from other characters as well. The last third of the book is very satisfying and has great spoilers that I will not mention. A worthwhile read.

I received this complementary copy from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...