Friday, August 25, 2017

"Nightmares in Analog"

"Nightmares in Analog"
Written by Jonathan Chateau
Review written by Diana Iozzia



"Nightmares in Analog" by Jonathan Chateau was easily one of the best collection of short stories I have read, easily on par with the horror legends. Mr. Chateau's writing style is very natural, and his stories are very reminiscent of stories I've once loved, and also similar to creepy stories you'd tell at campfires or sleepovers.

The first short story, "Video is Dead", is about a man who finds a VCR player that he can use to manifest the dead. This is a great, creepy story to tell in the dark. It's very similar to the best Creepypastas on the Internet. (Yes, I am a fan of a good Creepypasta.)

The second, "Energy Drink" is a bit of a surreal strange scary story about a man who begins drinking a strange energy drink with weird side effects. This was not my favorite out of the collection, but it was still relatively unique.

The third short story was easily my favorite. "Saltwater Marathon" is a great tale of a man who still hears the voice in his head of his dead wife. He soon realizes that a large group of aquatic mer-creature monsters are chasing after the humans. There's lots of cool spoilers I won't mention, but I really enjoyed this. This reminded me of "The Lady in the Water" meets "The Mist" with a little "Sharknado" cheesiness.

This whole collection is very well-written. If you had given me this book and didn't tell me the author, I thought this would have been a book by Stephen King. The short stories are very similar to his writing style. I think these stories are unique, for being similar to other past creepy tales. I would highly recommend this to people who enjoy the short stories by Stephen King (my favorite writings of his anyway). I will be looking forward to reading future books and stories by Jonathan Chateau.

*I was very lucky to receive a complementary copy from the author himself. Thank you.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...