Sunday, November 10, 2019

"The Rose That Blooms in the Night"

"The Rose That Blooms in the Night"
Written by Allie Michelle
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

"The Rose That Blooms in the Night" is a beautifully written collection of poetry by the modern poet, Allie Michelle. The beautiful illustrations add another great element to this collection.  Michelle's poetry encompasses many themes: feminism, relationships, love, and adulthood. Some of the stronger themes include relationship abuse, death, and mental illness. Her natural ability to reflect the world through a metaphorical but genuine lens is so incredibly inspiring. Michelle calls to us to teach us how to respect ourselves and how we should respect others, especially when in love.

There were far too many favorite poems from this collection to count, but I would still like to add them into my review. Personally, when I read reviews of poetry, I always like to see which poems the writer has mentioned. Favorite poems are personal, so we can receive a bit of insight from whom enjoys them.

My favorites are:
"The Rose That Blooms in the Night", "Wings", "Oxygen of Life",
"It Was Real", "The Mind's Garden", "The Wolves",
"Love Will Never Ask You to Be Small", "Grief",
"The Fingerprints You Left on My Skin", "Open Your Eyes", "Love is Not",
"Feelings", "Let Go", "Home", "Alive", "Ebb and Flow",
"Fly", "Lens of Two", "I Would Have Loved You", "Love's Rhythm",
"Begin Again", "Death Creates Life", "Revolving Door", "You Are Never Alone".


I believe my love for Allie Michelle's work will never cease. Her poetry is absolutely wonderful and truly inspiring. Its thought-provoking nature allows the reader to be curious and examine how they have been treated but also how they have treated others. I feel a tad inspired to try my own little go at poetry, since I have not really tried since high school.

I absolutely plan to read more of Michelle's work. Her poetry and Courtney Peppernell's modern poetry have been engulfing my free time lately.

I'd like to send a great thank you to Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me a complimentary copy of this, in exchange for my reading and reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...