Tuesday, November 5, 2019

"The Road Between"

"The Road Between"
Written by Courtney Peppernell
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

The Road Between

After reading the first poetry collection by Courtney Peppernell, I was eager to begin reading many more poems by her. I had a dark, chilly autumn night ahead of me, with a big mug of hot chocolate.

Alike Peppernell's collection, "Pillow Thoughts", this collection was full of love, heartbreak, and wonderful LGBT representation. Peppernell creates such romantic and honest poetry, that I think I would melt if I had someone write poems about me like she does for her wife. Peppernell draws on their relationship, her life experience, and many other themes to create her words.

One of the main themes of her poetry is a long distance relationship. As a person in a long distance relationship, her verses about LDRs resonate deeply with me. I have felt the same way she has, about airport lines, suitcases, time zones, and more. Every time I read her poems about long distance, I feel my heart cracking just a bit. I plan to bridge our distance in the next few months, but until my fiance and I are married, I will still feel these poems directly and painfully.

Many of Peppernell's poems are hard to describe, because sometimes, they do not have names. However, she separates this collection into these sections: "The Cave", "The Closet", "The Sky", "The Sea", "The Road", "The Mountains", "The Fields", and "The Home".

Lastly, I just have to say how strongly I recommend this writer's work. I eagerly anticipate any new collections from her and cannot wait to read the ones she's already published. Courtney Peppernell is a brilliant modern poet, and I am so glad to have found her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...