Tuesday, July 9, 2019

“The Mermaid’s Voice Returns in This One”

“The Mermaid’s Voice Returns in This One”
Written by Amanda Lovelace
Review written by Diana Iozzia

the mermaid's voice returns in this one by Amanda Lovelace

After reading the first two poetry collections in this series, I wanted to continue to read the third one. Amanda Lovelace is a strongly-opinionated, feministic personality, whose beliefs and actions are clearly reflected in her female-empowering poetry. I enjoyed both of her first two books, but I did not love them. Some of the poems were a little too much for me, in a political way or a preaching way. I am not the type of person who needs to be empowered as a woman, but I can still appreciate it.

In each of her poetry collections, along with the theme of feminism, there is a specific type of magical theme. Her first was related to princesses and royalty. Her second was related to witches. This third one is related to mermaids and other magical creatures. All of her poetry collections are very raw, honest, and at times, uncomfortable to read. Her books have many trigger warnings at the beginning before the introduction. Please keep that in mind if you are someone who feels upset or hurt by sensitive material.

Here are the poems I enjoyed:
“Ariel”
“No One Noticed & She Liked it That Way”
“It Was Always the Girl Through the Looking Glass”
“Wild”
“Now I Know You Can’t Fix Someone Else”
“What Wouldn’t I Do for You?”
“Titanic”
“This Cannot Go On”
“Flight” *
“Kill the Conductor” *
“Mother Knows Best II”
“The Good Kind of Drowning”
“I Don’t Mind Standing If I’m Standing Next to You” *

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...