Tuesday, July 30, 2019

"Forever, Interrupted"


“Forever, Interrupted”
Written by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

Forever, Interrupted

“Forever, Interrupted” is the fourth book that I’ve read by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This heartwarming and heartbreaking book cements the pattern that I have come to expect from this author. This book also cemented Reid as a new favorite author of mine. This novel follows our main character, Elsie, who eloped in a fit of love and affection with her boyfriend, Ben. We learn that their relationship was a bit of a quick whirlwind. One night, Elsie asks Ben to run to the closest convenience store to pick up some Fruity Pebbles. He is hit by a car, while on his motorcycle, and dies instantly. Elsie now must mourn and heal, while hardly knowing anything about Ben. She now also must meet his mother, who is tough as a whip.

This wasn’t the most thought-provoking or emotional books that I’ve read by Reid, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have enjoyed listening to her books in an audio format, which creates a nice, easy listening experience. The book was entertaining, funny, and sad. It was interesting to see Reid flash from the building of their relationship to after his death, told in two separate time lines. I felt that Elsie is a very sympathetic character and very relatable. Ben is the kind of character you’d fall for. Susan, his mother, is the kind of person you’d expect from a bitter mother-in-law. However, I loved seeing the relationship between Elsie and Susan develop. In addition, Reid always has wonderful smaller characters, like Elsie’s best friend, Anna.

I highly recommend this book. It wasn’t a very complex story, nor did it have a thrilling plot. Fortunately, this was just the type of book I needed at the right time. This is one of those books that you can read casually or intently. I could recommend this as a beach read or a book you’d take to a coffeeshop. I cannot wait to continue reading her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...