Saturday, April 20, 2019

"The Death of Mrs. Westaway"

“The Death of Mrs. Westaway”
Written by Ruth Ware
Review written by Diana Iozzia

The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
“The Death of Mrs. Westaway” was an entertaining, soapy thriller. Enhanced by dramatic scenes and a creepy location, there was still an interesting mystery afoot. I’ve read every book by Ruth Ware so far, so I was eager to read her newest. However, I feel that Ruth Ware writes a book that stands out, then her next is just washed out, and then the pattern continues. “Mrs. Westaway” is a tamer thriller to me, rather than action scene after another. As always, Ware creates a story that begs you to think more about the characters than what meets the eye.

Before explaining the synopsis, I have to mention the successful writing patterns that stand through in each of her stories. Ruth Ware creates very atmospheric and vivid locations and her stories just billow out and build around them, similar to an early railroad town. Her settings are absolutely majestic, whether they are a regal cruise liner or a dingy, crumbling pier. We breathe the air the characters do. In addition, Ware’s introductions always engross me. I find myself catapulted into her stories ala Alice plummeting into Wonderland.

“Mrs. Westaway” is a very simplistic plot with very simplistic characters. Congruent to many other psychological thrillers, we have a death in a very tightly knit family which is far from connected on the inside. To be a fly on the wall in this house. We also have outsider Hal (female) who has mistakenly been included in the inheritance. She makes herself to one of my favorite areas in England (Penzance, Cornwall) and meets the family who she will be pretending to be a part of. This makes for an interesting plot. I often enjoy books that have characters return to their hometown or first home full of secrets. For example, this book reminded me of "The Haunting of Hill House", the "Flowers in the Attic" series, "Roanoke Girls", "Sharp Objects", and "The Missing Years".

However, proceeding Hal’s journey to Cornwall, we are introduced to her pathetic job as a tarot card reader on a pier in Brighton. Hal is struggling for money in every sense of poverty. We are shown how she tricks the customers into believing their fortune, but Hal claims she is not doing it maliciously. She just really needs the money. The full introduction before we arrive in Cornwall is 80 pages! 80 pages of Hal getting harassed by debt collectors, eating soggy fish and chips, fooling innocent people, complaining about her family past, and just being plain miserable. This is easily the worst aspect of the book. I understand to create a character who would commit fraud, you need to create reasons why she would want to. However, this was too slow and too unnecessary. I felt that a majority of this could have been cut down. We would have understood her plight within 30 pages. Desperation is not difficult to comprehend.

After Hal arrives at the Trespassen House (was that name really the only thing Ware could come up with?), she begins to melt into the family. We see in her mixed batch of ‘relatives’ how the family is more gilded than golden. Her eccentric ‘relatives’ and the unsettling housekeeper leave Hal feeling more trapped than excited. She also begins to unravel the mystery of why she was mistaken for a relative and who she really is.

The conclusion of this story was not unpredictable. I’m sure that some readers may figure out the mystery ahead of time, but I did not find myself deducing and sleuthing my way through the story. There weren’t many red herrings, but I was certainly curious to see how the mystery would unpack. I felt very satisfied with the ending, especially with the true villain revealed. I thought this character was a good choice, and I felt made sense for the mystery. In addition, the actual climax was very creepy and delicious. I could also imagine that some readers might think this book was a tad unrealistic in certain areas, but I enjoyed the ride. I fully recommend this book, but please try to get past the 81st page. I think it’s worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...