Tuesday, April 9, 2019

"Cemetery Girl"


“Cemetery Girl”
Written by David Bell
Review written by Diana Iozzia

Cemetery Girl

“Cemetery Girl” is one of the many books that David Bell has written about young female teens returning home after a tragic event. In this circumstance, father and mother, Tom and Abby, have become ships passing in the night, after their young daughter disappeared four years ago. Tom and Abby still hold out hope that she will return, but they are taking actions to move on. They hold a memorial service and adopt out her childhood pet, in hopes that moving on will be swift.

Tom keeps in contact with a lawyer, who gives him advice on how to hold out hope that Caitlin will return. She calls him, saying that she knows someone who believes she has seen Caitlin. Hot on this trail, Tom stops at nothing to find Caitlin. After she is found, all those around Caitlin notice a change. Abby becomes suspicious that Tom’s brother, a strange bird, who was one suspected of hurting Caitlin, could still be the perpetrator. We eventually learn all about who took Caitlin, why, and how she reacts to returning home.

I was not impressed with this thriller. It seemed very cut and dry, very stereotypical of this type of thriller. The overprotecting father who is unhinged, who will make unethical choices to protect his daughter. David Bell has written these characters time and time again, but they do not feel refreshing. I felt that this book was not very exciting, and I felt I had to push myself to read it.

Furthermore, I did enjoy the ending. We have a very unsettling, yet interesting choice for the characters. I felt that this ending was not satisfying, in the sense that the characters are at peace. It’s dark and foreboding, and I enjoyed that unexpected ‘resolution’. Other than that, I really would not recommend this. I would just advise to skip it and read his other book, “Bring Her Home” instead. It has a very similar plot, and I enjoyed that one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...