Wednesday, February 14, 2018

"Small Talk"

“Small Talk”
Written by Theresa Sopko


 I enjoyed Theresa Sopko’s writing, because it’s very good. Her poetry is very dramatic and sad and thought-provoking, but it’s sadly not in the style of writing that I enjoy. I prefer more romantic, soft poetry, but Theresa’s poetry encompasses depression, anxiety, heartbreak, love, and life. I find it hard to relate to, because I don’t relate to most of these themes, but that doesn’t mean I can’t understand the poetry. So, as much as I can appreciate it, it’s just not in the same style that I prefer my poetry. I feel that rating poetry and reviewing it can be tough, because it feels insulting to describe what I didn’t like about an author’s work. Poetry feels more sensitive and personal than Stephen King’s new murder bestseller.

So yes, I think that someone could review this poetry and say that this is the best book of poetry written so far, but I do not feel that way, because it’s not to my interest. Poetry is too subjective. However, I can say nothing against Theresa, because it isn’t poor poetry. It’s very good, I just didn’t like it. I think that her poetry is very indie, very modern. It would be fantastic read out loud to a crowd listening to beat or spoken word poetry. It would also be great as a new song by the Arctic Monkeys. There’s themes of feminism, women empowerment, strength for mental illness, and more. Her poetry very much so reminds me of Anne Michaels and R.H. Sin. It’s very surreal, a bit ethereal. Some poems also remind me of the nostalgic innocence and nature of the book, “Tuck Everlasting” and “Holes”.

My favorite poems in this collection are:
·        “Haunted Houses” *
·        Some poems don’t have titles, so the ones on page 12, 15, 16
·        “Heavy Love”
·        “The Test of Distance”

* I thank Theresa for sending me an e-copy of this book to read and review. *

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...