Thursday, February 15, 2018

"Shards"

“Shards”
Written by Fariha Khayyam
Shards by Fariha Khayyam 
 Fariha’s poetry is haunting and beautiful, similar to gothic romance poetry. I felt like I was reading this while being placed into a dark garden with moonlight, or as if I was on top of a mountain. This feels very ethereal to me, but I can understand the pain, the sadness, and the hurt that was written down into poems here. It reminds me of the feelings of sadness and beauty found in Guillermo Del Toro’s creations.

“Shards” is separated into four sections, in order of telling the story within the poems. We have: “The Shattering”, “The Redemption”, “The Rising”, and “The Reforming”. This reads like an epic, similar to “Beowulf”. It’s natural and spiritual, and it feels like it needs read while standing on a mountain. Very wonderful to read and enjoy. I feel like I can go conquer a country now.

  My favorite poems in this collection are:

·        (Some pages have poems without titles): pages: 14, 24, 26, 28, 36*, 52*, and 56.
·        “What Scared Her”
·        “Maybe a Little Different”
·        “Tangled, trapped, but alive”
·        “Let Me, Just Me”
·        “Freedom”
·        “Unleashed”
·        “Nothing Can Stop Her Now” *
·        “Stubborn”
·        “Go Wild”


* I thank Fariha for sending me an e-copy of this book to read and review. *

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...