Thursday, September 3, 2020

"The Dark Path" - Book Review -

The Dark Path

 "The Dark Path"

Written by Michelle Sacks

Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

"The Dark Path", or also known as "You Were Made For This", was written by newcomer Michelle Sacks. The novel can be characterized as a domestic thriller or the newly proclaimed "Scandi-noir". In this novel, we learn of main characters Merry, Sam, and Frank. Overall, I was incredibly disturbed by this book, by its content matter, its unreliable narrators, and contrived ending.

To hide the past, Merry and her husband, Sam, move to an isolated wood in Sweden, close to Stockholm. Unfortunately, we learn very early on that Merry has a pattern of abusing and neglecting their son, Conor. When her best friend Frank comes to town,  Merry becomes increasingly aware of the dangers in their relationship. Frank has an illicit affair with Sam and a neighbor. When Conor is found dead, possibly by murder, there is no turning back for any of the protagonists. Who would and could hurt Conor?

My main dislike for this novel is the treatment of an abuse victim. I found that the scenes in which Conor was injured and physically abused were far too much for me. I felt uncomfortable and emotionally charged. Additionally, I felt that the story did not condemn the murderer as much as they should have done. The villain is revealed to have killed Conor to put him out of his misery, as one of the strangest motives I've ever seen.

Furthermore, I do not recommend this novel. Although Sacks has a great writing style, she wrote a really disturbing novel that I do not think one should read. I'd consider reading more work from her in the future, but I feel very apprehensive.

I rate this novel at two out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...