Saturday, December 14, 2019

"The Network"


“The Network”
Written by L.C. Shaw
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

The Network by L.C. Shaw
“The Network” was a highly disappointing read, due to the many tropes of novels in the political thriller and psychological thriller subgenres. After truly loving “The Last Mrs. Parrish” by Lynne and Valerie Constantine of the pen name, Liv Constantine, I had been disappointed by their second thriller, “The Last Time I Saw You”. L.C. Shaw is an additional pen name, created by Lynne Constantine. I had been interested to try out this novel, to see how it would compare.

Unfortunately, “The Network” encompasses so many tired trends from the thriller genre, including big evil corporations called “The Institution”, two main characters that used to love each other, evil corporate villains who want to rid the world of sin, and disinteresting main characters.

Jack Logan is an investigative reporter, who is tasked with hiding his ex-girlfriend, whose senator husband has just been murdered. Taylor, the wife, is pregnant with complications that require her to take certain medication and have as much bed rest as possible, which makes their situation all the more complex. We learn about their previous relationship which is eerily similar to another perspective, of Maya. Maya had been taken in by a super secretive and scientific institute, ruled by the power-hungry and righteous Damon Crosse, who has impregnated her illegally. He holds her hostage in the corporation, to help him take over the world.

As the story continues, we learn more about Maya’s unfortunate scenario and see how her parents’ relic coins with supposed powers tie in with Taylor’s family history. Are they connected?

Very early on, it can be quite predictable to see how this story is progressing. I found myself rolling my eyes at certain dialogue, especially with scenes involving sex. Also, can a dog be trained to bite into a neck artery and kill a bad guy? That was a question no one had ever asked or thought, “Wow, that must be included in a action thriller.

Personally, I felt very disengaged from the story. I never felt connected with any of the characters. I was very surprised to see that this may be the first in an action / political thriller series, with Jack starring as the lead character. He’s not an offensive character, but I certainly would not continue onto the rest of the series. The writing feels incredibly immature, which combines with “The Last Time I Saw You”, makes me wonder if I would still love “The Last Mrs. Parrish” as much as I did when I initially read.

Due to my true disappointment for the story, I cannot recommend it. If you love big, bad government corporations that want to take over the world, I recommend “Recursion” by Blake Crouch instead, which has very realistic science fiction and well-written characters. I was disappointed with the story turning out into more of a Dan Brown / religious conspiracy novel. Lastly, I am not sure if I will continue to read from the Constantine sisters.

I received an advance edition of this novel in exchange for reading and reviewing purposes. Thank you to Harper Collins for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...