Tuesday, September 24, 2019

"The Mall"


“The Mall”
Written by Megan McCafferty
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

The Mall by Megan McCafferty

In order to enjoy “The Mall”, I think you might have needed to be above the age 10 in the 1990s. In this story chockful of 90s nostalgia, the story has a very childlike and whimsical plot. Teenage Cassandra has just found out her boyfriend had been cheating on her, she loses her job, and has to begin a new job, working with Drea, who she instantly despises. Their friendship blossoms quickly, and Cassandra becomes adjusted to the job at a boutique in the mall.

Now, I am a 90s kid, but I was born in ’95. Every reference to the Cabbage Patch Kids, Britney, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, frosted hair, “Beverly Hills: 90210”, and Morrissey go right over my head. Naturally, I understand that they’re from this time, but I was too young for all of these when I was that age. For someone older than me, I can imagine this summer read would be perfect for that adolescent and teenage nostalgia. Unfortunately, this book felt very alien to me.

I personally did not enjoy the main character, Cassandra. She felt very “Woman Power!” but also, “Let me become insecure by every gust of wind that blows my way”. She had a tendency to overreact to most occurrences. I enjoyed Drea’s character but not to the point that would turn my dislike for this book into enjoyment. Cassandra’s relationship to her parents and her reaction to their divorce felt very forced and unexpected. I have read many books for teenagers that had better depictions than this did. Additionally, I was not enthralled by the romance of this story.

The most difficult speedbump to overcome in this story is the writing style. Again, with the references. The characters spoke in ridiculous catch-phrases, odd jargon, and with terrible description. We often read sentences that would HAVE ALL THE CHARACTERS SHOUT HYSTERICALLY. Orrrrrrrrrrrr talk like this. ORRRRR we’d hear about Drea’s HAAAAAWNNKKAAANNNNKKK laugh at least 20 times. Reading this book made me feel like I was stuck in “The Truman Show”, with characters and dialogue that felt super unrealistic and frankly annoying. Most of the dialogue and typing style felt immature and like an eyesore.

I had very high expectations for this story, but all of them fell very flat. I was initially excited to read this, because it takes place in New Jersey! I did enjoy some of the New Jersey references, but yet again, they did not recover my interest.

I do not recommend this book if you are above the age of 18. I would say younger, but there are sexual jokes and content that felt very tiring to read. I don’t think this book was enjoyable in most ways. In reading a book by an author has already been established, I was expecting more. I do not think I would read another book by this author. I understand that I was reading an early version of the book, so I do hope this is smoothed out more before full publication.

I received a bound manuscript for reading and reviewing purposes. Love you and thank you, Macmillan, but this was a tough one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...