Wednesday, May 22, 2019

"Wooing Cadie McCaffrey"

“Wooing Cadie McCaffrey”
Written by Bethany Turner
Review written by Diana Iozzia


Wooing Cadie McCaffrey

It has been an incredibly long journey to find a favorite romantic comedy in book form. There have been many terrible tropes I’ve read through, manipulative characters, and tiring pop culture references that make the characters seem funny. While “Wooing Cadie McCaffrey” has some of those misery-inducing tropes, this book flips them and shows how romantic comedies can be sweet and hilarious, without boomboxes, hundreds of flowers, and chasing down romantic conquests in New York City. This was easily the most enduring romantic comedy written as a book, that I have ever read. This is instantly a new favorite for me, and I plan to read it many times in my life.

When I first was offered the chance to read this book, I was hesitant, as I had noticed it was from one of the Christian publishing imprints from Harper Collins. As an atheist, I was expecting something from Nicholas Sparks’s caliber. However, don’t let the publishing imprint scare you off. There’s a little bit of praying and there are characters discussing their abstinence and chastity beliefs. Other than that, the main focus was elsewhere: on one of the sweetest and most honest relationships I’ve seen in years.

This romantic comedy has all of the wonderful aspects that I look for in this type of book or movie. The characters should be good people. I am tired of a love interest being awkward and creepy in their conquests, hunting women down and beating up other men to win the heart. I have been tired of women or men lying about themselves or manipulating to win the person over. Nora Ephron’s films have always been a favorite, but there’s always a small element of deceit. There’s no deceit here. Every character truly cares about each other. Our main characters, Cadie and Will, are so genuine and so hilarious! Man, the meet-cute is easily the best part of the book and frankly had me laughing out loud, which is something that very rarely happens when I read.

Let’s speak about the premise. The alternating time jumps and the perspectives allow for an interesting narration technique. We jump back and forth in time of Cadie’s and Will’s relationship. Cadie explains to us that she absolutely loves Will, but she feels he will never be ready to reach the next step of their relationship: marriage. After losing their virginities to each other, four years into their relationship, Cadie and Will are devastated, as they wanted to wait until marriage. Cadie loses sight and love for Will, so she decides to break up with him. Will seeks out help from their friends (who are GREAT side characters) to win and woo Cadie back. This occurs in an endearing way, not in a psycho “why don’t you love me? I’m going to make you love me” way.

This book is so refreshing and so sweet. I felt it was heartwarming, honest, cute, and exhilarating. I loved watching Cadie and Will miss each other and find ways to catch up with each other, knowing that they would find their way back to each other.

I personally believe this is a new favorite. I cannot explain any more how much this book amazes me. I would love to see this as a film. I feel like every favorite aspect of romantic comedies is mixed in here. Even some of the cheesier tropes, like the big, crazy Hail Mary of an apology. I’m also begging for a sequel and to read every book by Bethany Turner.

P.S. What an amazing epilogue.
P.P.S. I love all the baseball and sports stuff! It’s so great to see well-fleshed out career settings in a rom com.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for reading and reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...