Tuesday, January 29, 2019

"Looker"

"Looker"
Written by Laura Sims
Review Written by Diana Iozzia

Looker by Laura Sims

"Looker" is a highly enjoyable, unsettling psychological thriller compacted into only 180 pages. We are introduced to our unreliable narrator, who has become utterly obsessed with her neighbor, 'the actress'. We see an incredibly fast plot, with disturbing and uncomfortable scenes as interest turns into pure obsession.

This book would be enjoyable for people who enjoy unreliable narrators. For example, Ruth Ware's books, Paula Hawkins's books, Gillian Flynn's books, and the recent hit, "You" by Caroline Kepnes.

Half the book is just in our narrator's mind as well, which leaves us wondering what actually was real, and what our narrator imagined, fueled by insanity. We do not often read psychological thrillers, in the case that the character completely spirals down mentally and physically, so this is a rare treat. I highly recommend this fun and impulsive read. I did not want to stop reading until I reached the fever pitch.

Personally, the only thing I disliked about this book was the pacing. Because it was so compact, I still had a thousand questions, but I guess the point is to leave the reader wanting more? I most certainly do.

I received this advanced reader's copy for reviewing purposes. Thank you to Scribner and Simon and Schuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...