Monday, April 16, 2018

"S.T.A.G.S."

"S.T.A.G.S."

Written by M.A. Bennett

Review written by Diana Iozzia

S.T.A.G.S.


"S.T.A.G.S." follows our main character, Greer, as she is invited to a weekend away with her new classmates. They all go to a mysterious, historical boarding school with lots of secrets. It's interesting to watch as Greer learn all about the school and her fellow classmates.

Greer and the other two invited students, Shafeen and Chanel are very nervous and uncomfortable. The main events of this weekend include a stag hunt, a pheasant shoot, and a fishing tournament. All too soon, it appears that Greer, Shafeen, and Chanel are the hunted, rather than the hunters. I like the premise of a cult-like boarding school. Not bad.

We have a great amount of foreshadowing, interesting detail, and an unpredictable plot. This reminds me of the films "You're Next", "House on Haunted Hill", and "The Invitation". As for books, this reminds me of "Dead Poets Society", "The Fall of the House of Usher", and "Black Chalk".

I enjoyed this book, but sometimes the language was a little off-putting. Not to say that it was vulgar language: my issue mainly involved Greer's perspective. She's sometimes annoying with her constant film references. I understand she likes movies, but on nearly every page, something happens that reminds her of a movie. She also announces a pretty big plot point that spoils the entire book, within the first two chapters. I would have preferred not to know. I didn't think that knowing in advance had made the book feel more suspenseful and gripping.

It's easy to picture this story, and I liked that it felt vivid in my mind. Also, it doesn't hurt that my favorite place in England is Cumbria and the Lake District, so it was great to have that be its location.

It's funny, upon reading this, I found many fellow reviewers who didn't like this book. I can understand why, this was more of a guilty pleasure read than some gritty, terrifying horror novel. I did thoroughly enjoy it, and I'd like to give it a 4 out of 5 stars. I do think I'll pass it on. I would recommend this, but don't go into the book thinking it will be the next best "Get Out". Although the deer similarities are intriguing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...