Friday, September 29, 2017

"One Dark Throne"

"One Dark Throne"
Written by Kendare Blake
Review written by Diana Iozzia
One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake

"One Dark Throne" is the excellent and exciting second book, following "Three Dark Crowns" by Kendare Blake. Please do not continue reading this review if you have not yet read "Three Dark Crowns", because it might be confusing and full of spoilers.

The second book in every series always has the worry of falling into a sophomore slump. Although this was not as exciting and thrilling as the first, it's very good and very appealing still. I do think this book can be a bit confusing at times, because there are so many characters. But thank goodness, there is a list of characters and their details at the beginning of the book. (And it's necessary, I had forgotten a couple of characters along the way. And I read both books in a week, I can't imagine someone who had waited more than a month in between).

There is a lot of "this person is dead OH WAIT no they're really not". "Is this person going to die? Of course not" stupidity that I cannot stand behind. Both books are extremely over-explained. By the second half of the second book, I had better understand who all of the characters are, their journey so far, and their powers. Even if I didn't know, it's over-explained! Ugh.

One of my favorite things about the sequel is the absolute transformation of Katharine from a weak, spiny, little deer in the head lights to oh, my god, the girl that would slaughter a deer in the headlights, three times over. She's terrifying and a great "evil queen" stereotype.

Speaking of stereotypes, there are again the bad boys that the girls are interested in. Also, my favorite guy disappears halfway into the book. Hello? Hi, where are you again? Did you die? I cannot at all remember the last time he was mentioned. Even Arsinoe's bear receives a better conclusion! Again, the willingness and the hatred exhibited by the women in this book still bothers me. But I absolutely love that Mirabella and Arsinoe actually start to care about each other and work together. Finally.

To avoid any more details being spoiled, I did enjoy this book. It felt a little harder to read through than the first, but I seriously enjoyed both. I'll be looking forward to the next in the series.

*I received a finished copy through the publisher.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Sunlight Pilgrims"

 The Sunlight Pilgrims Written by Jenni Fagan Reviewed by Diana Iozzia The Sunlight Pilgrims creates an eerie and uncomfortable year 2020 ...